Welcome to Your Historical Compass

"The purpose of this blog is to generate discussions about historical issues. Students, enthusiasts, and friends are all welcome to join by reading and participating with comments. I hope to generate interest in history and offer help to the perplexed." Caleb Johnson

Friday, September 16, 2011

Welcome to Your Historical Compass

Dear readers,
Welcome to my new history blog. This blog will feature historical posts, songs, links to my favorite historical websites, illuminating photographs and more. I look forward to the discussions, laughs and thoughts we'll share together through this blog.

For my first post, I decided to write about a Medieval topic. The Middle Ages will feature heavily in my posts since it is my favorite period of history. The topic? The globe. Contrary to popular belief, people in the middle ages knew that the world was round. Astronomy did not disappear after the fall of Rome and the well educated  knew just as well as the ancients that the world was flat. The myth rises from the stories that sailors told in order to scare avid listeners. Many told stories of sea monsters, and falling off the edge of the world in order to inspire fear and amazement. This is why many of the common people believed that the world was flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment